Bone Grafting for Dental ImplantsDental implants require adequate jawbone density. Sufficient bone mass is needed for the jawbone and implant to fuse and to prevent dental implant failure. If you lack sufficient bone, grafting might be required.
Will I Need Bone Grafting?
After an examination and imaging studies, we can tell if you need a bone graft. Below are common circumstances that often indicate grafting is needed:
- A tooth missing for several months – When a tooth is lost or extracted and not replaced with an implant or a graft, the jawbone begins to deteriorate.
- Trauma or infection – Both of these factors can cause damage or defects in the bone that grafting will correct.
- Missing front teeth – Front teeth sockets have walls that are very thin. They often do not regenerate on their own, so grafting is required.
- Very large or low sinus cavities – A sinus lift can be performed to restore bone height and allow safe implant placement.
What Is Bone Grafting?
Bone grafting is a procedure that implants donated bone (usually from another part of your body) and a special grafting material in areas of low bone density. The graft and your jaw are allowed to heal for several months while your body grows new bone in the affected areas.
Does bone grafting lengthen the implant process?
Yes. Depending on the extent of the graft, it takes four to six months for the new bone to grow. When enough bone density has developed, one of our specialists will resume the implant process.
What is recovery like?
You may have mild pain or post-op soreness for a few days. Usually, you can manage it with over-the-counter medication. If you will need prescription medication, it will be discussed before your procedure.
If you want more information on this procedure, call us to request a consultation, or complete our Request an Appointment form.
Ready to take the next step ?
Call one of our offices today, or book an appointment online!
- Athens: Athens Phone Number 706-549-9711
- Atlanta/Buckhead: Atlanta/Buckhead Phone Number 404-233-5385
- Conyers: Conyers Phone Number 770-483-9692
- Covington: Covington Phone Number 770-787-2444
- Decatur: Decatur Phone Number 770-981-9400
- Dunwoody: Dunwoody Phone Number 678-328-4122
- Monroe: Monroe Phone Number 678-345-1014
- Northlake/Tucker: Northlake/Tucker Phone Number 770-934-1907
- Roswell: Roswell Phone Number 678-781-0050
- Snellville: Snellville Phone Number 770-979-9500