Atlanta Bone Grafting
A healthy jawbone can make or break the success of a dental implant procedure. Bone grafting can make the difference.
What Is Bone Grafting?
The bone grafting process rebuilds deteriorated bone. Donor bone is grafted in the jaw before dental implants are placed. The graft encourages the body to grow its own bone.
The Importance of Jaw Health
Tooth roots stimulate your jawbone and keep it healthy. Without teeth, the alveolar bone (part of the jaw that anchors teeth) dissolves, and the body uses the minerals from it elsewhere. Jawbone absorption progresses quickly when you lose a tooth. Other causes of bone loss include periodontal (gum) disease, trauma, tumors, and more.
Jawbone loss can cause other health issues, including:
- Facial collapse, including sagging and wrinkling of the face
- Poor nutrition
- Problems with remaining teeth
- Speech problems
- TMJ pain
Ready to take the next step in your dental health?
Call one of our offices today, or book an appointment online!
- Athens: Athens Phone Number 706-549-9711
- Atlanta/Buckhead: Atlanta/Buckhead Phone Number 404-233-5385
- Conyers: Conyers Phone Number 770-483-9692
- Covington: Covington Phone Number 770-787-2444
- Decatur: Decatur Phone Number 770-981-9400
- Dunwoody: Dunwoody Phone Number 678-328-4122
- Monroe: Monroe Phone Number 678-345-1014
- Northlake/Tucker: Northlake/Tucker Phone Number 770-934-1907
- Roswell: Roswell Phone Number 678-781-0050
- Snellville: Snellville Phone Number 770-979-9500
Minor Bone Grafting
Most bone grating procedures are minor. Minor grafting is commonly used to build up bone in preparation for a dental implant.
Major Bone Grafting
If there is significant bone loss due to trauma, cysts, tumors, or a defect, major bone grafting might be required. Additional materials, technologies, and several specialists might be involved to complete the procedure.
Where does the new bone come from?
Common donor sites come from your own body, including:
Sometimes bone-grafting materials are sourced from bovine (cow) or human cadavers. In advance of your procedure, one of our doctors will explain the pros and cons of each source.
What’s the recovery period like?
You will be anesthetized during the procedure. As the anesthesia wears off, you may experience some soreness that usually can be managed with over-the-counter medication. Before your procedure, your doctor will talk with you about any necessary prescription medication.
After the procedure, there is a four- to six-month healing period, during which the bone grows enough to support dental implants.
Request a Consultation
Bone grafting is safe and reliable. Our board-certified specialists will ensure you’re a candidate for dental implants and that you have enough bone density to support them. Call us to request a consultation, or request an appointment online.